As the businesses expand it is very difficult to keep track of accounts. Every business whether it is small or large needs an efficient war to keep track of its payments and revenue. Nowadays it is easy to manage accounts as there is plenty of software in the market that can manage the billing and invoice for your business. One may think what is the need for all these online software as they can simply hire an accountant to do these tasks for them. That’s true but hiring an accountant will only result in increased chances of errors. Hiring a good individual for this job is quite difficult and expensive.
All of the work done by a human can simply be done by installing reliable online invoicing software. More and more entrepreneurs are realizing the benefits of invoicing software and are shifting to electronic invoicing dumping their billing systems that are manually based. There are a lot of online software that provide, billing and invoicing services but one should choose a software that is reliable and effective.
Comparison of Billing and Invoicing Software
|Provider||Product Name||Free-Trail||Features||Customer support||MYVU score||Visit website|
|Freshbooks||Yes||Automatic expense imports|
Personalised thank you mails
credit card processing
|Quickbooks||Yes||Managing reports and Finances|
Quick inventory management
Defining user roles and granting
|Wave||Yes||Real double-entry accounting|
Credit card payments
|Sage 50cloud||Yes||Financial consolidation|
Electronic bill payments
|Zoho invoice||Yes||Customize invoice templates|
Multiple language support
Scheduling recurring invoices
|BigTime||Yes||Automatic time capture|
Multiple billing rates
Offline time tracking
Payment form creation
|Hiveage||Yes||Estimates and Quotations|
Manage multiple teams and
Here are some of the best billing and invoicing software that are available in the market.
Freshbooks is currently the most sought after online invoicing service. It won the award for Best Accounting software in 2019. Freshbooks has the highest rating in terms of customer satisfaction. Freshbooks was built to serve small businesses. It is a professional tool that is best for small and medium-sized businesses. Freshbooks consists of great billing and accounting functions.
Freshbooks makes financial accounting very pleasant through its innovative tracking and billing system. Professional looking invoices are easy to create. The invoices of both clients and other vendors are stored at the same place. A payment reminder for customers can be sent automatically. It gives you the speed and comfort that you need to handle your accounts in the company. Freshbooks has a very user-friendly interface across all devices. Customization of proposals, estimates of approval by clients can be done. Multi-currency expenses can be managed using Freshbooks. Apps for Ios and Android mobiles are available to create invoices from anywhere.
- Import options for Freshbooks are great.
- Simplicity in the management of expenses, invoices, and financial reports.
- Robust time tracking features.
- Automatic processing of billing and inhouse payments.
- A simple user interface that can generate quick reports.
- Integration with a wide range of third-party tools.
- Inability to directly integrate with many popular e-commerce sites.
- Mobile applications consist of limited features.
- Incapability in managing businesses that are large and complex.
- Need for improvement in goal setting, reporting, and metric features.
- Expensive monthly pricing for small businesses.
- Lite package costs $15/month and $13.5/month if you want the annual package.
- Puls package is $25/ month and $22.50/month if billed annually.
- The premium package is $50/month and $45/month for the annual package.
Xero is a cloud-based accounting software that was established in Newzealand in 2006.It is one of the best choices for someone with large and medium scale businesses. Xero is well-built accounting software. It offers sophisticated features that are intended for accounting, integration, and reporting. Xero has over 800+ integrations with over 2 million users worldwide. It is currently being used by over 16000 firms as the primary accounting software. Xero has recently updated its features regarding project management. Its previous version for project management is not that great. Compatibility is not a problem as this cloud-based software can be used in all devices in any kind of browser.
Xero also has accounting software for devices that are above Android 5.0 and Ios 11.0. It also provides other independent mobile apps for Xero projects and Xero expenses. Xero consists of a well-developed software that supports unlimited users for every plan. The admin is able to set feature control access and multi-level permission for users. People who run multiple businesses need to purchase a separate subscription for each of their businesses. Xero contains a well designed modern user interface. It is a bit time consuming to know all of its functions. But it is easy to use once you get used to it.
Xero has impressive expense tracking and third-party integration features. One does not have to worry about their financial analysis while using Xero. It has great methods for invoice processing and invoice management. You can customize your reports and import or export data using Xero. It supports multi-currency and electronic payment methods. Xero divides contacts based on purchase history.
- Xero makes it easy to produce financial reports.
- Xero allows collaboration between financial advisors and business organizations.
- It allows users to view transactions and financial reports in real-time.
- Bank reconciliations of all transactions can be viewed in real-time.
- Intuitive software that is very user-friendly
- Smaller versions of Xero does not allow inventory tracking.
- Xero imposes restrictions on the number of transactions while using a starter pack.
- Inability to use multiple currencies when a starter pack is enabled.
- Xero has a very slow and unreliable support system and lacks telephone support.
- The starter plan is $9/month, it accommodates 5 invoices and 20 transactions.
- The standard plan is for $30/month, it allows unlimited transactions and 5 payrolls.
- The Premium 10 package is available for $70/month which also allows unlimited transactions and 10 payrolls every month.
QuickBooks is a cloud-based accounting software which was first released as on-premises accounting software in 2002. After two years QuickBooks online was released. Since its release QuickBooks has gained around 2.2 million users. QuickBooks has gone through a lot of changes and advancements compared to its initial days. It is suitable for all kinds of businesses whether it is small or large. QuickBooks is great at managing expenses, invoices, and projects.
Advanced Quickbooks online allows the admins to grant access to users and sales representatives can be assigned tasks. It can automatically divide transactions based on the tax categories. QuickBooks issues digital copies of transactions and receipts. It can manage various export generated reports and repeated payments. QuickBooks allows customization of invoices and integrations more than 600. It also gives the option of having an add-on called QuickBooks Live Bookkeeping. By using this add-on one can outsource their bookkeeping tasks to an online expert who keeps its account.
- Navigation in QuickBooks is fairly easy as everything is visible on one page.
- QuickBooks allows you to customize your invoices using your brand logo and information.
- QuickBooks lets its users send unlimited invoices through email.
- Bank accounts and credit cards can be linked to QuickBooks removing manual transactions.
- QuickBooks is associated with more than 18000 banks
- Payroll for the monthly subscription is very costly which does not include the surcharge for each user.
- Project management cannot be done using QuickBooks as it does not contain any feature for it.
- Unavailability of built-in backup function to restore lost data.
- The self-employed plan is for $7/month allows users to do basic reports and track expenses.
- Simple strat plan is for 12/month, it allows additional features like tracking sales, tracking tax, and managing 2099 contractors.
- Essentials plan allows 3 users for $20/month, additional features are managing bills and track time.
- Plus plan allows 5 users of $35/month its additional features include tracking project profitability and inventory.
- Advanced plan is priced at $75/month which allows 25 users and additional features allow you to do business analytics, customizing access by user role, online back-up and restoring data.
Indy – One-stop destination for freelancers.
All the independent workers can manage their work easier with Indy. Whether you’re looking to keep the communication in one place or send an invoice to the client, Indy is the perfect platform for you. Trusted by millions of freelancers around the world.
Indy invoicing software will enable you to craft professional invoices within a few minutes. Invoice templates incorporate the complete information that your client required. Also, provide the capability to customize by adding a brand name, colour or image. Sounds amazing! Give a personal touch to your invoices.
Get your things done easier and faster with Indy. The tool will ensure all your invoices look attractive. Attach your timesheet with the invoice using “Time Tracker”. The time tracker tool will record accurately and get paid for every minute. Get complete control of time. Within a single click, you can easily track your time. Also, you can pause the time during break time. Hit back, when you are all set to work again. Simply put, the Time Tracker tool will help you to focus on work rather than checking the time.
Sign-up for Indy and Manage the billing and invoice in no time. The comprehensive software for creating bills and invoices is offering two types of payment solutions – Automated and Manual.
Automated – Indy supports Stripe and PayPal as online payments. No additional charges are required.
Manual – Indy supports Zelle, mailed check and direct deposit. All the personal information and other payment details are secured on Indy hands.
You work around the clock, Indy will help you with simplified invoicing and easy payment options. Get registered now and make money without hassles.
Invoicely is another invoicing software that was established in 2012. It was previously known as Invoiceable and InvoiceBubble. It was later changed to Invoicely when it’s latest version was launched in 2016. Currently, Invoicely is used by more than 100,000 business firms. Invoicely is easy to set up and run as it has a modern user interface. It is most suitable for small and micro-businesses. Many invoicing software allows multi-currencies but this invoicing software also supports multi-lingual invoicing. Invoicely has a free plan that lets its users send unlimited invoices while having unlimited customers. Businessmen can use it to manage multiple businesses without paying extra money. Invoicely is a simple and affordable invoicing software for small and medium businesses, especially for freelancers. There are no mobile apps for Invoicely at present but it can be accessed using all devices since it is cloud-based.
- This invoicing software is Simple to use, set up and navigate
- Complete integration of a company’s logo and documents can be done using Invoicely.
- Administrators receive notifications when a quote is viewed by a potential customer.
- Easy to track payments and reprint previous invoices on demand.
- The customization of invoicing is limited.
- Even though Invoicely is a cloud-based software it does not have an app so it makes it difficult to create an estimate if you do not have a PC.
- Date entry has to be done manually as it does not have account integration software.
- It contains a free plan which allows sending unlimited invoices in multiple currencies and limited branding for 1 user.
- The basic plan is for $9.99/month which allows 2 users to track time, expenses, recurring statements, accepts online payments and manages multiple businesses.
- The professional plan is for $19.99/month for up to 10 users with all the features mentioned above.
- The enterprise plan allows 25 users to access all the features for $29.99/month.
Wave is an accounting software that is best designed to cater to small businesses and entrepreneurs. This invoicing software is currently being used in more than 200 countries. Wave has more than 4 million users around the globe. Wave is also a cloud-based software. The main advantage of using Wave is that it is completely free to use. Wave allows all of its users to use a single login to run multiple businesses. By using this single login its users can have unlimited collaborators who can access data from anywhere.
Wave puts an end to all manual work like data entries and produces the required financial reports. There is no set number for the invoices, items, and contacts. But if you want payroll, bookkeeping, and payment processing you have to buy a paid plan. Another advantage of using Wave is it keeps updating its software to become more robust, flexible and has more features. Wave is the first invoicing to include a lending feature in its software. The latest update of the Wave comes with automated expense tracking, lightweight eCommerce and cash-based accounting features.
- The fact that it is absolutely free to use is the main benefit of using Wave.
- The lightweight mobile app of Wave is easy to navigate.
- Wave instantly syncs all the data of invoices to payroll to the admin’s devices.
- Wave allows its users to sync multiple bank accounts, credit cards, and PayPal related to their business.
- Great at handling multi-currency including regional sales taxes.
- Wave does not have the ability to track inventory.
- The mobile apps of Wave only serve the purposes of invoicing and receipts but not accounting.
- It still needs improvement in categorizing and organizing transactions.
- Wave is completely free to use and contains all essential features that are necessary for invoicing software.
Invoicera is an invoicing software that was launched in 2006. It was founded with the intention of simplifying communication in businesses. Invoicera as a web service allows its users to view, send and receive invoices. It is suitable for all kinds of businesses ranging from small scale to large scale businesses. Invoicera is a very useful software for consultants, lawyers, enterprises and web developers. It has the ability to dispatch invoices in over 15 different languages.
Over 30 online payment options are provided by Invoicera. Its incredible flexibility is what makes it an ideal option for managing invoicing of all kinds of businesses. Keeping track of transactions and managing invoices can be done using just one platform. Even with multiple payment options, Invoicera is swift in managing invoices. Invoicera also has an app using which you can manage your invoices on the go.
- Invoicera provides different features for every client depending upon their requirements.
- Invoicera’s interface is very simple and user-friendly.
- Invoicera gives the option of free trial for every plan they provide so that the customers know the benefits of each plan.
- One can send invoices to customers in any part of the world in their own language.
- Users can manage accounting through mobile apps from anywhere.
- Invoicera does not update its software very often.
- Its lack of proper customer support features is one of its major drawbacks.
- Invoicera does not provide proper live bank feeds.
- Invoicera has a free subscription which allows a user to manage up to 3 clients.
- The classic plan is for $19.95/month which allows 5 users to manage auto-billing, 100 clients and 100 recurring profiles.
- The business plan costs $39.95/month, it allows 10 staff to manage unlimited clients and unlimited recurring profiles.
- The infinite plan costs $99.95/month it allows unlimited users to manage unlimited clients and recurring profiles.
Invoice2go was created by Chris strode as a locally installed windows app in 2002. Later it was developed into cloud-based software. Invoice2go currently has more than 250,000 active users. Most of the invoicing software does not have great mobile apps. This is not the case with Invoice2go as it offers android and ios mobile apps that are very effective. The functionality of its mobile apps is on par with its desktop counterpart. Invoice2go also has an excellent customer support system. It takes note of the issues raised by customers and tries to improve on them. Invoice2go releases an update almost every week after removing bugs and glitches that are experienced by the customers.
- Customized invoices can be created quickly using ready-made templates.
- Invoice2go has the ability to generate estimates instantly that can be viewed by the customer by surveying potential jobs.
- It has the feature of tracking expenses by processing the images of the receipts.
- Invoice2go’s payment reminders make it easy and less awkward for business owners while dealing with clients.
- The software of invoice2go is easy to install.
- Payment receipts and recurring payment options are only available if you subscribe to the unlimited plan.
- It has a user limit of only five users.
- Invoice2go’s integration with other apps is minimal.
Every plan is available for a 50% discount for the first 12 months after that prices change as given below.
- The lite plan is for $2.99/month for 1 user to send 50 invoices to 5 clients.
- The standard plan of $9.99/month allows a single user to send 200 invoices, generate 200 estimates to 25 clients along with additional premium features.
- The advanced plan of $19.99/month lets 2 users send 400 invoices, generate 400 estimates for up to 100 users with additional premium features.
- The unlimited plan costs $33.99/month allows 5 users to send unlimited invoices, generate unlimited estimates with additional premium features included.
Sage 50cloud is developed by the Sage group as online software for accounting. This software was designed to do accounting on a desktop. Sage 50cloud’s accounting software is aimed at small and medium-sized businesses. Business owners can use the built-in accounting software for tracking their investments. Sage 50cloud is basically a desktop application that is cloud-based. It can calculate taxes, create budget plans, and create invoices. Sage 50cloud can inspect cash flow to manage expenses. Unlike many other accounting software, Sage 50cloud offers the feature of inventory tracking. It provides secure cloud storage that can store an organization’s data and credit card numbers.
- Business owners can create their own security levels for users in their organization.
- Sage 50cloud has a well-built reporting feature that can produce annual, quarterly and monthly financial reports.
- It has a strong system that manages and tracks inventory very well.
- Another merit for using Sage 50cloud is ta backs up all the data so that you don’t have to worry about losing data.
- Sage 50cloud doest not have any mobile applications.
- People who are using it for the first time need some basic knowledge in accounting as it is difficult to navigate.
- Needs improvement in documentation features.
- Sage 50cloud has a pro accounting plan for $51.67/month with all the features for 1 user.
- It has two versions for the premium plan if its users then the price is $75/month and if it is 4 users it costs $133.42/month with all the features.
Zoho is an online office suite based in India. It created the Zoho Invoice in 2008. Zoho Invoice is specifically aimed at small and medium business but it is suitable for all kinds of business. It emerged as one of the powerful invoicing software that was improved over the years. Zoho Invoice users have an option to choose from 16 different types of templates that are beautifully designed along with the option of auto-scheduling invoices. It has a well-designed client portal. Using Zoho Invoice you can send invoices in over 14 languages. Zoho Invoice also has great mobile apps for both android and IOS users. Since Zoho Invoice is a cloud-based software it works on almost every device. It has features like the point of sales, expense tracking and project management which are very helpful for businesses.
- Zoho Invoice is very user-friendly.
- The customer support from Zoho Invoice is excellent.
- It has well built mobile applications.
- Zoho Invoice offers a free trial for first-time users.
- It offers advanced invoicing features.
- Zoho Invoice does not have many integrations.
- It cannot track inventory.
- Zoho invoice has a free plan for 1 user to send invoices to 5 customers.
- It has a basic plan of $9/month for 1 user to send invoices to 50 customers.
- Zoho invoice’s most popular standard plan is $19/month which can be used by 3 users to send invoices to around 500 customers.
- The professional plan costs $29/month which allows 10 users to send invoices to unlimited customers along with a custom domain.
BigTime is a billing and time software. It is a fully integrated software created for professionals in businesses, accounting, IT industry and government contractors. BigTime offers a great way for these professionals to optimize their client invoicing and billing processes. The main aim of BigTime is to provide its user with a billing mechanism that is quick, easy to operate and error-free. Its time tracking feature captures the entire time spent on a project whether in office or outside of it through the timesheet of its mobile app. BigTime is a fully customizable software with all the necessary features to track expenses both online and offline.
- BigTime has a very intuitive software that is easy to learn.
- It does more than billing like managing resources and projects.
- BigTime has a wide range of integrations.
- The mobile app allows you to track all important documents both online and offline.
- The application contains limited features.
- Lacks good customer support.
- BigTime has an express plan of $10/month that can be used by 3 users with features like time tracking, unlimited customers, transactions, etc.
- BigTime’s most popular plan is the Pro plan that is for $30 which can be used by 3 users where it has all the features of the express plan and additional features like tracking budget, expenses, live phone support, etc.
- The premier plan costs $40/month allows 10 users. It contains all the features of pro plan and additional features like resource allocation, revenue projections, and extended support hours.
AND.CO is an invoicing software developed in 2015 by Leif Abraham and Martin Strutz for freelance management. Its main focus is to serve creative studios and freelancers. In today’s time AND.CO has over 200,000 active users. In the beginning AND.CO used to have paid versions like pro version and studio version for offering services. But after AND.CO was acquired by Fiverr. It has gone through a lot of changes. The most important change is that it was made completely free to use. They have crunched all the features of different versions into one version. Though it is not an accounting software it contains all the features of typical accounting software. For example, AND.CO has features like time tracking, expense tracking, invoicing and project management. It has other features like proposals and contracts to aid freelancers.
- It is best suited for freelancers.
- AND.CO is free to use.
- The mobile applications are very easy to use.
- AND.CO offers great customer service
- AND.CO does not have tax support.
- Not suitable for large businesses.
- AND.CO has a limit for the number of contracts per month.
- It has limited integrations.
- AND.CO is not full-fledged accounting software.
- AND.CO has a free plan for 1 active customer and it allows the use of two bank accounts.
- The pro plan costs $18/month for unlimited clients and allows the usage of 6 bank accounts.
Ryan Wood and Dodd Caldwell created MOONCLERK as they wanted to solve the problem of recurring payments. It is specially designed for doing recurring and one time transactions. MOONCLERK is very easy to use and it is quite flexible. It is most suitable for small and mid-size businesses. MOONCLERK allows its users to customize their payment options. It consists of various payment options like invoicing, online payments, mobile payments, and recurring payments which are needed for all kinds of businesses. Users can start using the MOONCLERK software as soon as they pay for a plan. The customers can be sent payment request links through SMS and live chat.
- Simple to manage recurring and one time payments.
- MOONCLERK offers an option to create your own coupons and vouchers.
- It offers a lot of payment options for all types of businesses.
- You encounter some trouble setting up payment options.
- The charges of MOONCLERK depend upon your sales, the more you sell the more you have to pay.
- MOONCLERK charges more if you sell products.
Moon clerk charges its users based on the number of transactions and the amount of revenue generated in one month it can be $15 per $0 – $2000 income to $110 per $12,500 to $20,000 income that is generated in a month.
If you are looking for invoicing software that is designed for freelancers and small businesses then hive age is one of the best options for you. Hiveage was initially known as Curdbee when it was established in2006. Its main aim was to provide invoicing and billing software for individual professionals, small businesses and startups. Hiveage became quickly popular with its users due to its convenience and easy usage. It was free before it was relaunched as a paid platform with four plans. Hiveage after its relaunch has become much faster. It makes the creation of invoices, reminders, and scheduling payments very easy. Its operations and integrations with third parties are very simple.
- Hiveage is easy to set up and use.
- It makes it easy to customize invoices.
- Very fast in setting online payments from different processors.
- Recurring invoices are very easy to generate and send.
- Needs more accounting and bookkeeping functions.
- Hiveage requires improvement in its mobile application functionality.
- Hiveage has a basic plan of $16/month which can be used to send unlimited invoices for 25 clients along with unlimited estimates, time tracking, expense tracking, financial reports, etc. It is the best plan for freelancers
- Hiveage has a pro pack that costs $25/month which can be used by 2 users to send unlimited invoices to 250 clients. It contains all the features of the basic plan along with additional features like customizing email notifications and automatic payment reminders.
- Hiveage also has a plus plan that is priced at $42/month, it enables 5 users to send invoices to 1000 clients. It includes all the features of the pro pack.
The main reason for using an invoicing software is the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of this billing software. The processing of accounts is done at an incredible speed as the transactions are managed by a software rather than doing it manually. It also decreases the complexity of calculations that involve huge figures. It is easy for software to calculate taxes on each transaction as it uses predefined algorithms to do the calculations through a computer. Above all, online invoicing software reduces the over costs and gives error-free reports.